The fabrics i have selected are quite complex in nature and have a lot going on in their surface pattern – this is to juxtapose with the natural simplicity of the turned wood’s materiality. As the materials are so complex i didn’t want to impose much further onto the design so i decided to keep the fabric construction simple, with neat clean edges.


I made a makette from calico to begin with, to ensure the pattern would work. The pattern was calculated in 3 parts.

The first was the circle piece for the top of the fabric seat. The diameter of the OSB board + 2.5 cm / 1 inch on either side for foam thickness. This was drawn on to a piece of card, then i went round with a ruler measuring at least 1 inch of seam allowance in a solid line – this was then cut and used as a template.

To find the circumference (2 sides parts / length of fabric) – the diameter was halved to find the radius – (2 x pie x r) to give the length of the circumference -. ” inches were added to the length (1/2 per seam allowance – as there was 2 joins) and the piece was cut directly in half. There was 3 inches added to the height/width of the fabric, to ensure there would be enough to pull the excess fabric to staple it to the underside of the OSB board.

The Two lengths were sewn together, front to front, first so that there wouldn’t be a hole when turned inside out. And the the circle was tacked on afterwards, places along the inside of the panel so that the fabric was the right way round. This worked perfectly on the calico, but when done on the actual fabric there was an excess fabric of the circle, therefore i had to sew in each point of the circle separately and as evenly as possible. I stated with the 4 compass points within a circle then tacked each in half, and half again, and so on and son on until the circle was completely tacked. Once tacked its was placed onto the foam covered structure to check that it fit, then it was sewn properly on the sewing machine, and left until ready to be upholstered.