With Nige away for the week, i decided to use it to my advantage and try to improve on wood turning so that i could start on the actual stool legs when he came back. I used scrap wood and cut off pieces of oak 4×4  from the bin to turn quite small scale legs, which would also reduce the vibrations (as the unsupported length was reduced) and would enable me to focus, solely on the wood form. I experimented with different chisels, and shapes, but tried to keep some similar aspects, like tapering – as i wanted tapered legs for the stool designs – which would help improve my skills. I found it was still quite different to keep the oak from splintering, despite constant increase of pressure from the tailstock, thus the nature of oak. However this can be improved by taking smaller cuts, and heavy time consuming sanding – going through each grade.

Advertisements