Once the Drawers had been assembled and glued, they were re-sanded, through the grades 60-240, the runners were re attached to the inside of the cabinet, to create a more realistic environment to see if the drawers would actually fit into the cabinet carcass.

Photo 27-03-2017, 11 44 44

The cabinets fit in, when placed on top of each other, but not attached to runners, however when the drawers were fitted to the runners, there was some problems getting the runners to clip in to the lock, that would allow the push-to-open design to work effectively.

The problem seemed to be that the drawers were slightly too long, and the back of the drawer was hitting the plywood back of the cabinet, stopping the drawers retracting fully. I was quite sure that this was what was causing the problem, however, i didn’t want to potentially damage all the drawers further by removing some of the rebait join on the back of all of the drawers, and therefore slowly and continuously sanded off millimeters of wood. The process was slow, however patience was necessary, as i didn’t want to remove any more than was necessary, in case as to take strength from the join, therefore had to constantly check by reattaching the runners and re fitting the drawer until the runner would lock, as the drawer had been shortened to fit.

Knowing this i used the machine planer to remove the material front the back of the drawer, as it can remove more in one go and leave a smoother surface than using a belt sander. However, the runners were left on so this meant that the accuracy of the drawers could be checked more easily.

The runners were removed, drawers re-sanded, again, and were prepped for finishing, using a compressed air gun to get rid of any dust and contaminants, in order to apply the first coat of danish oil.

Advertisements