With my last attempt to spot weld the wire ring section of the lamp shade, i used quite thick wire, which meant that the heat/ power of the welder was turned higher- this excessive level of heat then caused the ring to warp.  With this attempt i decided to use finer wire, to create a more elegant structure, and spot welded in random spots around the ring, as opposed to welding each wire after another – which would keep one specific area of the ring at a consistent heat, causing the ring to warp.

Photo 23-03-2017, 19 59 35

The thinner wire was cut in lengths of 7 cm so as there would be tolerance either side of the two lamp rings, and would be attached sparsely and built up. The wire was stored in a circular wheel, therefore each piece had to be straightened – due to the thinness of the wire, the malleability and ductility of it was increased and therefore the majority of kinks could be straightened by hand, the wire against the table, or another hard surface.

 

I wanted the detailing of the ring to suggest a level of hand – craftsmanship, but to a level of discipline and accuracy within its crafty aesthetics, and therefore didn’t measure out a set distance between each wire. Once i was happy with the consistency and placement of the wire, i took the second lamp ring – the epoxy resin had already been scraped and filed off from the inside and outside of the ring – and placed it on the inside of the wire. This was quite fiddly process, due to the rings being the same size, however once the ring was inside the wire structure, i used a ruler to move the top ring to the correct height – consistently around the rings to create a hollow cylindrical form. Once this was achieved, the second ring was then spot welded to each of the wires, to create a closed form. Any protruding wires from the rings were then cut off using wire cutters, this removed most of the excess however, there was quite sharp pieces left that could cause some problems  – catching on fabric and general nuisance, or could be a potential health and safety problem. Therefore, i began to hand file each wire down, however this process was taking too long, and the rough slow vibrations of the hand file pulling across the wire, caused too much stress and the weld, and caused some of the wire to drop off. These the had to be welded back on, and began the process again. The dremel provided similar results, less breakage in the wires, but was very slow at removing the waste material of the wire.

Photo 29-03-2017, 11 46 46

The sanding plate on a metal grinder was the best results i had achieved so far – the plate moved slowly and gently over the top of the excess material, and removed it very quickly without taking off too many wires, allowing me to grind away to leave the wires flush to the surface of the ring.

Advertisements